Saturday, June 5, 2010

Stepping into the Rockies


Yesterday night we walked a mighty 60 KM. It was a quiet & cold walk. I had a 5 KM down hill stretch where I just jogged the whole way. I had the snow capped rocky mountains as a backdrop, a cool morning and a peanut butter sandwich that energized me for it. I loved every second of that jog. The night walks continue to be very challenging since we don't get much sleep during the day. We take the RV from one city to the next during the day and usually do a lot of shopping, while the day crew walks. I continue to fear animals, but with time, more familiarity with the place and my safety equipment I can let my fears slide and concentrate more on enjoying the walk and Gods wonderful creation. Today we drove 4 hours from Fernie and are currently in Calgary. I went to a beautiful huge parish called St. Lukes in Calgary to fund raise. The other teams went to other parishes around Calgary to do the same. One incredible story that came from one of the other teams was that a person came up to them and told them about their daughter that was going to have an abortion and saw our prolife sticker and decided not to go ahead with the abortion. We met up with a seminarian, Greg Woodard at St. Luke's and he gave us a tour of a beautiful park overlooking the "Bo" river and the city of Calgary. We are now setup for what smells like a yummy dinner. I better get eating. As I mentioned before, we were not given permission by the Bishop to do the talks in the diocese in Calgary. However, we were still permitted to setup our table and distribute our pro-life material. Please continue to pray for our safety, for a culture of life in Calgary and for the unborn. Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. Did the bishop give a reason for his refusal to let you bring the prolife message into his diocese? Extremely strange and disappointing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Carlos. He did not refuse the pro life message entirely. He allowed us to setup our table in the churches. We were however not permitted to give our talk ourselves to the church. The priest had to give the talk. We are not completely clear on this. This could be due to an incident in the past not with our group but with another group that caused them to not allow us to speak. Our organizer also did not directly deal with the bishop but with some intermediary or representative of the bishop that denied us permission to talk. A bit disappointing, I know. However, we still got a pretty generous response from the parishes we went to in Calgary.

    ReplyDelete