Thursday, June 17, 2010

The toughest walking day...yet


As we set out for the roads of Saskatchewan we knew we were in for a rough day. There was rain, heavy winds and it was quite cold. The rain jacket that the deacon of Didsberry donated to us came in super handy for me. The winds really were biting. They were relentless and at times they were so heavy that I was being blown sideways in the wind. My pants got totally soaked. Even my water proof shoes could not handle it. My socks were soaked. A 5 KM walk which normally took us 45 minutes to walk took us an hour and a half. They say you experience great joy with joining your suffering with Christs suffering. However "joy" would be the last adjective I would use to describe today. I do know my suffering has redemptive value in saving the unborn. I listened to music the whole time I was walking which made the walking a little more pleasant. After just 4 hours of walking we were all tired. I felt like I could squeeze a bucket of water from my pants and socks!


We were fortunate to meet up with a Viatnamese priest in a nearby town after the walk. He celebrated mass for the 6 of us plus 2 regulars from the town. He also has housed the 3 day walkers in his rectory. We each got comfortable beds and our own private bedrooms. It is so good to have a warm place to stay after such a cold and rainy day. I pity the night walkers, though, who have to go through what we went through during the day. Father also allowed us to have dinner at his place and talking to him about the priesthood was a real blessing!


That's it for now....more from the prairies, hopefully, soon.

2 comments:

  1. you guys are looking pretty sleepy in that pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we are on day crew, we get about 7 hours a day, night crew gets about 5. Bro. Paul is lucky if he gets 2 hours/day! He is our fearless walk leader....

    ReplyDelete